<$Graphic Design, Graphic Designers, Photography, Photographers, Commercial Artists, Discussions on Graphic Design, Photography Discussions$>

Monday, August 14, 2006

David Hockney's Exhibit at LACMA

Has anyone checked out David Hockney's exhibit on portraits now at LACMA? I really enjoyed it! I absolutely loved his earlier ink line drawings of his father. It's like a sketch in progress. It's also quite interesting how David played around with technology using a color copier and of course a Polaroid camera --- but in the end resorted back to painting. He was quoted as saying something like "painting was an old person's art." Do any of you feel this way?

Having graduated from art school at about the same time as the Macintosh came out and replaced typographers I could really relate to his statement. I've played around with technology a lot as an artist and have gone so far away from traditional media. I remember thinking that if it weren't for the computer I'd probably have quit as a graphic designer because I absolutely hated having to cut ruby lith and having to ink boards. But... on the other hand - I love smearing charcoal on a pad.

I miss that! How about you? Any similar experiences between the technology that you work with today on a daily basis and the rare ocassion that you actually end up with paint under your nails? Or, am I the sole slave to my laptop?

Spin On!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Technolgy is a bit of a donkey. Everyone is a graphic design / artist these days because hey have Photoshop and can build a website. LiveTrace will create a wave of hyper realistic illustrations that people (unfortunately their clients) will ohh and ahh at thinking it so complex and fantastic. Meanwhile real skill (imagination) remains marginalized.

I used to paint. More recently I made collages (they got me into graphic design). Currently I lay out a small paper and design ads. My own independent production is lagging due to a lack of motivation. I have inspiration, however, and am trying to move back to creating actual pieces even if it means creating vector files to be engraved or otherwise machine processed (other than printed).
If nothing else I'll need to start sketching again. I tried painting but I didn't have the patience for it.

8/15/2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger Val Gelineau said...

Yuri reminded me of my painting teacher at San Diego State. He was/is (I haven't kept in contact with him) a really awesome artist. He used to tell us "DRAW DAILY." It was his mantra and it became engrained in me while I was in school. He'd carry around an 11" x 17" sketchbook with a big fat sharpie attached to it... and he'd draw daily.

If you can draw with a sharpie - you can draw with anything. LOL.

Once out in the real world, unfortunately, I prioritized daily drawing right out of my life. In fact, it wasn't until just months ago when I was talking to a friend who is currently writing a book (50 Ways to Leave Your 40's) and she reminded me of how I use to always say "Draw Daily".

Due to my work - technology had completely replaced my daily drawing. But I've added it to my blog as my "new" mantra. Say, do!

Spin On!

8/15/2006 3:34 PM  
Blogger Sheila Key said...

STEHER!! I noticed the "Draw Daily" tagline on your blog long before I drilled down to this comment of yours. "I put up my first blog, and YOU'RE IN IT!" you emailed. Well, I didn't see my name, but when I spied that tagline, "Draw Daily," I thought, "THERE I am!! Stephanie said she hadn't thought of that in ages -- not until I reminded her of it!" And now, lookee there! It's right on your front page (er, top page? masthead? Despite my own blogging habit, I'm remain more of a paper-media gal!)

MANY congrats on the blog, Steph. It looks grrreat! But then, everything you do looks great! And thanks again for letting me interview you for the book (my first of this particular sort of paper media!) AND for linking to my blog.

You ROCK!
Love, Sheila

8/15/2006 5:27 PM  
Blogger Sheila Key said...

STEPHER!! I noticed the "Draw Daily" tagline on your blog long before I drilled down to this comment of yours. When you emailed me to say, "I put up my first blog, and YOU'RE IN IT!" I clicked on the link, OF COURSE! Well, I didn't see my name, but when I spied that tagline, "Draw Daily," I thought, "THERE I am!! Stephanie said she hadn't thought of that in ages -- not until I reminded her of it during our interview!" And now, lookee there! It's right on your front page (er, top page? masthead? Despite my own blogging habit, I remain more of a paper-media gal!)

MANY congrats on the blog, Steph. It looks grrreat! But then, everything you do looks great! And thanks again for letting me interview you for the book (my first of this particular sort of paper media!) AND for linking to my blog.

You ROCK!
Love, Sheila

8/18/2006 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlimited Earnings Potential - http://1greatfuture.com

Our company is rapidly growing and offers you an extraordinary income helping others succeed. The primary requirement is to follow up on client inquiries and point them in the right direction. It is stress free, rewarding and straightforward work.

For complete details: http://1greatfuture.com


(Please feel free to delete this post if you don't want it on your blog. Thanks for the informative blog and opportunity to post.)

2/01/2007 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home